Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mother to Son

To me, this poem is actually quite... pertinent. Considering all of my life experiences, especially the one I am going through right now, I can totally imagine what they are going through. I can hear the controversy between emotions. I can hear sadness and hopelessness, but at the same time I can hear hope and warmth. If it had anymore emotions in it, it could be its own subconscious. I believe that this poem is supposed to let the reader make his or her own assumptions about what is happening. So, overall I like this poem because of its abundance of diversity.

You can tell that this poem is almost all metaphors. "My life ain't no crystal stair" means that her life wasn't perfect, and she also says that the stair has "Tacks in it, and splinters, and boards torn up, And places with no carpet on the floor”, meaning that she has gone through many hardships, like the "bumps on the road" metaphor.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when we responded to that poem! And WOW! Yours is way better than mine! Your word choice is astounding, and even though it's a response... it is completely just... amazing and great! Good work Jeremy! (P.S.- I hope your hard times you mentioned in the beginning are settled now.)

    ReplyDelete